Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Hands Are Shadows


My hands are shadows,
    your hands are doves.
I dream of myself
in the mid-night
futility and insanity of
an uncomfortable half-sleep,
drowning in the
cool gravity
of the paradox
of human existence.

Giving up on sleep,
a walk around the grounds,
my heart beats
with an annoying insistence
as if it were
not my own.
The skies are confused
and seem to be
expecting something
from me.

The earthy smells
of farm animals
rise and contrast with
the sweet aromas of the
perfectly formed roses
out in the night garden.

Barn cats chase and kill
the small, living things
that populate the nooks
of this rural Burgundy farm.

It's 3AM, and the galaxy of stars
over Beaune
is as sharp and perfect
as any I have seen
since wandering the Mojave
years ago.

My mind is a shadow,
contracting and collapsing
under the sharp points
of the sky.

Earlier I saw rainbows
    the size of small moons.
Tomorrow I drive to Paris
    burning like a comet.

No comments:

Post a Comment